Sunday, May 12, 2013

Level 1 Complete


There is level is a pretty good start for anyone who has not sewn in awhile or new to sewing clothing with a pattern. It explains almost everything a beginner sewer would need to start making clothes with a pattern. I say almost because they fail to mention prepping your fabric and also finishing your seams. She puts effort into wanting  you to make your garment to look clean on the inside with a neat hem and waistband casing but not the seams. For me I used my serger to finish the raw edges inside.
 
Another thing which I have learned over the years is directional sewing, this is very important in keeping your seams even and neat. Here you can see the chapter on it from Susan Khalje's book Cotton and Linen


I tried to keep as close to the program as possible this time around, using the recommended fabric and notions unlike the first time when I started this. But when it came to getting the hem tape I was in a rush and could only find bias tape. So a hong kong hem finish it was. I did use a plain pink stretch linen for the skirt.
Both sides of the hem

Skirt complete. It looks better on me.

Here it is with a t-shirt draft I'm working on.
















Until next time, happy sewing...

No comments:

Post a Comment