Thursday, June 16, 2011

Level 1 skirt part 1


Well last night I started my skirt, and did not take long at all. I think once I have all that I need out and ready a skirt like this should take me no more than a hour from start to finish. Anyway I want to point out a couple of things that were not covered in the video that think do make a difference when it comes to sewing and making things look less homemade. First, I do not remember her mentioning to pretreat your fabric. Looking at what she  was using which appeared to be a cotton you need to pretreat always. Even if its not a cotton you need to pretreat your fabric the same way you plan to clean it once its done. If not you make have a garment that after you wash may never look or fit the same anymore. Next is finishing your raw edges. She talked about turning under 1/4 inch on the upper part of your casing to neaten or finish that edge but nothing else. Can we say very homemade if we were to keep it like this. So I went ahead and finished my edges with my serger before I sewed the side seams. I then sewed up my side seams and left it at that. All of this about a half hour worth or work and that includes pinning the tissue to fabric and cutting.
 Tonight I won't be able to finish since I can't seem to find my hem gauge. Its one of my most useful tools in the sewing room and I have seemed to have lost both of them. I could do the casing without it but I want to follow the program as much as I can and also its so much easier with it so I'll hold out until I find one of them or get out to get another. So for now I have a half done skirt and already I'm thinking about the next skirt in like but I won't start on anything until I'm done with this one.
For now I will work on some patterns that I have been designing to make full use of my time. So Happy Sewing to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment